Request for Medical/Hardship Withdrawal

1.    The Medical/Hardship Withdrawal process is only used after the 70% mark in any given semester. If requesting to withdraw from classes prior to the 70% mark, even for a medical reason or other hardship, and you would like to request a refund, the appropriate form to complete is through the Cashier's Office. It is the Tuition and Fees Refund Appeal Application. Please refer to that form for guidelines, requirements, and the appeal review process.

2.    If you would like to withdraw from classes before the 70% mark and are not requesting a refund, you may simply withdraw from your classes without completing the Tuition and Fees Refund Appeal Application. Any Medical/Hardship Withdrawal forms received prior to the 70% mark in the semester, even if not requesting a refund, cannot be processed. There is no option to request a refund with the Medical/Hardship Withdrawal process.

3.    All requests for a medical/hardship withdrawal must be submitted no later than 30 calendar days after the last day of the semester for which the withdrawal is desired (but not prior to the 70% mark in the semester).

4.    Your request will be reviewed once we have received the Request for Medical/Hardship Withdrawal Form and supporting documentation.

5.    Your request will be reviewed within one week. After a decision has been made, we will contact you via email. (The entire process, including the removal of your classes, could take up to two weeks.)

6.    Your request only impacts the most recent semester. Therefore, if you are enrolled for the following semester and believe your situation will impact your success, then you are responsible for dropping the courses via the online student center before the start of that semester.

7.    In the event of a student death, this form can be completed by an immediate family member over the age of 18. An immediate family member is defined as a parent, spouse/partner, child, and/or sibling.

Instructions to Student:

1. Complete the Request for Medical/Hardship Withdrawal.

2. Attach supporting documentation that substantiates medical/hardship claims that interfered with class attendance and/or academic success. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Medical forms indicating hospitalization or decreased capacity to complete coursework
  • Legal documents indicating inability to attend class or decreased capacity to complete course work (i.e. police/fire report, letter from attorney, court records, etc.)
  • Obituaries or other documents indicating death of immediate family member
  • Documents indicating extenuating circumstances

3. If you are a financial aid recipient, you should contact the Financial Aid Office first before dropping the course. Your current and future financial aid could be severely impacted by dropping courses after the semester has started. The Financial Aid Office can be reached at 616-234-4030.

4. If you received Veteran/Military benefits, consult with the Veterans Coordinator at 616-234-4129 to determine possible impact.

5. If you are on academic probation, you should also consult with an academic advisor before you drop a course. Dropping a course can place you on Academic Suspension. The Counseling and Career Center can be reached at 616-234-3900

6. Return completed form, with documentation, to the Associate Dean of Student Success and Retention Office - or 347 Student Center.

Office Location Phone
Associate Dean of Student Success and Retention 347 Student Center 616-234-4839
Cashier's Office 154 Main 616-234-4020
Financial Aid Office 156 Main 616-234-4030
Veteran Benefits 118 Main 616-234-4129
Student Records 148 Main 616-234-4121